- University of Surrey, Department of Sociology Visiting International Fellowship in UK, 2019
- Fully Funded EPSRC PhD Scholarship at Swansea University in UK, 2018
- Robust and Predictive Energy Management of Hybrid Electric Vehicles PhD Studentship, UK 2019
- Undergraduate Scholarships at Swansea University in UK, 2018-2019
- AVAST Research Fellowship for International Students in Czech Republic, 2018
- Winton Advanced Research Fellowships in Physics of Sustainability, UK 2019
- PhD Fellowships at SDU Center for Energy Informatics to study in Denmark, 2018
- Postdoctoral Fellowship for International Students in Denmark, 2018
- RMIT International Excellence Scholarship for Undergraduate and Master in Australia, 2019
- Nottingham Trent University Postgraduate Scholarships for International in UK, 2019
CITANDA Postdoctoral Research Fellowship in South Africa, 2018
The Centre for Information Technology and National Development in Africa (CITANDA) is delighted to offer Postdoctoral Research Fellow (PDRF) in the evaluation of digital work platforms (Uber, SweepSouth, Upwork, etc.) in South Africa against decent work standards.
The research project aims to (i) improve working conditions for digital platform-workers in low- and middle-income countries; (ii) develop a certification scheme designed to set minimum standards for decent work and actively certify platforms through a newly-created “Fairwork Foundation”; and (iii) create a Code of Practice for South African platforms.
The University of Cape Town (UCT) is a public research university located in Cape Town in the Western Cape province of South Africa. It is jointly the oldest university in South Africa and the oldest extant university in Sub-Saharan Africa alongside Stellenbosch.
Fellowship is available to postdoctoral research programme.
Field of Study:
Fellowship is awarded in Evaluating Digital Work Platforms in South Africa against Decent Work Standards. The PDRF will conduct research for a multi-disciplinary research project supported by the UK Economic and Social Research Council as part of its GCRF New Models of Sustainable Development programme.
The value of the fellowship is ZAR 260,000 pa and is tenable for up to 29 months. A performance review will happen after the first year. Any further extension would be dependent on performance, and sourcing of additional funding for the post.
- Fellowship is available for South African citizens.
- Scholarship can be taken inSouth Africa.
Academic/experience criteria: Required
- A PhD, awarded within the previous five years, in a relevant field which could include – but is not limited to – internet studies, information systems, development studies, or work and employment.
- Strong skills in the planning, implementation, software-based analysis and write-up of primary field data.
- Practical experience of qualitative fieldwork in a global South context.
- Demonstrated ability to undertake desk-based evidence reviews.
- Demonstrated capacity to produce peer-reviewed research articles.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Ability to work independently within a research team and to meet deadlines.
- Knowledge and experience of field research in South Africa.
- Knowledge of South African official languages other than English.
- Specific expertise relating to digital platform work.
- Prior experience of working on research projects.
English Language Requirements:
Applicants must have excellent written and verbal communication skills in English. Knowledge of South African official languages other than English is required.
Applying procedure Instructions:
How to Apply:
Applicants should submit (i) an application letter that includes a short description of their expertise and research interests, and how these relate to the position, specifically addressing the required and desirable criteria listed, (ii) a CV including a publication list, iii) a copy of their PhD thesis and up to two published or submitted papers, (iv) copies of academic transcripts and/or certificates, and (v) email addresses of at least two referees directly involved in their PhD and/or previous postdoctoral research.
Scholarship Official Web Links:
August 31, 2018.