The new 6 months long Digital Earth Research Fellowship is available on offer for artists and designers. This fellowship is available for the students from Asia and Africa.
The fellowship is aimed at artists and designers at a stage in their career wishing to take 6 months for reflection and research.
Digital Earth: A fellowship for research and experimentation with and around the materiality and immateriality of the digital reality.
This is a 6 months long research fellowship programme.
Field of Study:
Digital Earth is a 6 month-long fellowship for artists and designers based in Africa or Asia, working across a variety of media, who would like to investigate our current technological reality. It is a unique research support programme, which supports experienced artists to reflect, research, experiment and produce work. Examples of possible research topics are: the infrastructure of Mongolian crypto-mining, the performativity of the robot-ports on the Siberian coastline, the soundscapes of the coltan mines in the heartlands of Congo, the cultural protocols of freeport zones, the aesthetics of satellite imagery, the agency of machinic vision, the political imaginations of geoengineering projects – and more.
The Digital Earth Fellowship provides:
A stipend to enable research, experimentation and to produce work in a specific geographic location in Africa or Asia, for 6 months. The exact amount of the stipend will be based on the cost of living in the country where the research will take place.
- Access to a research and production infrastructure consisting of a network of researchers, (online) theory and practice courses, research institutes, exhibition venues, creative hubs, art biennales, residencies and companies.
- A mentor, who will support you in your research. The Digital Earth mentors are internationally-renowned artists, designers and researchers.
- The chance to discuss your practice with other fellows during sessions on Google Hangouts;
- Final works and research findings will be exhibited in 2019 or 2020 in a roaming exhibition.
Geographically, the focus is on the countries that are part of the new silk roads connecting Africa to Asia, through Central Asia and the Middle East.
- Fellowship is available for designers and Artist from Asia and Africa.
- This fellowship is available for 15 artists and designers.
- Scholarship can be taken in Projects should be based in one of the countries in Asia or Africa.
Your application will be assessed by a selection committee on the basis of your research proposal; this includes this includes the quality of your work, your visual and reflective skills. Also, the committee will look into the relevance of your proposal to the research outline of Digital Earth. A balance will be sought between applicants from different geographic locations.
English Language Requirements:
Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
Applying procedure Instructions:
How to Apply:
Please make sure to read all the requirements and conditions described in this pdf and on our website, before submitting an application. Apply digitally, by emailing an application, no later than 19 August 2018 (23.59, CEST) to info-at-thedigitalearth.org.
Scholarship Official Web Links:
August 19, 2018.