Scholarship Brief Description: The University of Newcastle now wishes to offer its PhD scholarship and provide an opportunity within the UON School of Biomedical Sciences and Pharmacy in the Faculty of Health and Medicine for a PhD research student. The scholarship is available for both Australia and international students.
Host College/University: The University of Newcastle (UoN), informally known as Newcastle University. The University of Newcastle Medical School has implemented the problem-based learning system for its undergraduate Bachelor of Medicine program – a system later mandated for use by the Australian Medical Council throughout Australia. It pioneered use of the Undergraduate Medicine and Health Sciences Admission Test (UMAT) in the early 1990s. UMAT has since been accepted widely by different medical schools across Australia as an additional selection criteria.
Degree level/ Field of Study: Scholarship is available to pursue PhD programme.
Available Subject: Scholarship is awarded to study the anticancer properties of Low-THC containing Medicinal Cannabis.
Scholarship Award: $26,682 p.a. (2017 rate, indexed in January each year), for 3.5 years. The scholarship is provided by Faculty in-line with our recent successful Fellowship application.
Nationalities: International and domestic applicants are eligible to apply for the scholarship.
- International applicants are eligible to apply for the position.
- Applicants must have a master in Biomed/Sci, with a completed research project that employed drug development, biochemistry, analytical chemistry, cell culture techniques and be prepared to used animal models.
- Candidate requires good English writing and comprehension skills, and be enthusiastic and hardworking.
Applying procedure Instructions:
- Please send your application by post:
- Step 1 – Find a research degree
- Find the right research degree for you on our full listing of:
- PhD degrees
- Research Masters degrees
- Step 2 – Find a supervisor
- Scholarship applicants – All Commonwealth Government and UON scholarship applications must complete an Expression of Interest (EOI) form and have it signed by a potential UON supervisor to be considered for the scholarship. You should upload the EOI form with your online application. The potential supervisor will also provide you with a Pre-Identified Candidate (PIC) code which must be included in your application. Please see the Guide for uploading this information to your online application. Support from a potential supervisor is needed before your application can be considered but does not guarantee that you will be offered admission or awarded a scholarship.
- The EOI form is a fillable PDF. Please right click the link below and save the document to your computer.
- Download the Expression of Interest form (PDF, 176 KB)
- For admission only applicants – it is highly recommended you liaise with a UON supervisor prior to submitting your application.
Go to the find a supervisor page
- Step 3 – Write a research proposal
- You are required to submit a research proposal which is a clear statement describing your proposed area of research. Consultation with an academic staff member in your area of research interest is required.
Scholarships Official Web Links:
Scholarship Deadline: December 1, 2018