Scholarships: The Max Planck Institute for the History of Science, Berlin, Department III, Artefacts, Action, and Knowledge, Director: Prof. Dr Dagmar Schäfer, offers Visiting Scholarships, 3–9 months to take place in the period 1 April 2018 to 31 December 2019.
Host College/University: The Max Planck Institute for the History of Science (MPIWG) in Berlin is one of the more than 80 research institutes administered by the Max Planck Society. It is dedicated to the study of the history of science and aims to understand scientific thinking and practice as historical phenomena.
Degree level: This is a 3–9 months visiting programme.
Field of Study: Scholarships.
Nationalities: Candidates of all nationalities are encouraged to apply. Scholarship can be taken in Germany.
Eligibility Criteria: Applications from candidates in every field involved with issues relevant to the history of science and technology are welcome, with some preference for projects looking at cases from Asia, Africa, or Latin America, or adopting a global perspective. The MPIWG hosts many academic activities: conferences, workshops, brown bag seminars and colloquia. Visiting scholars are encouraged to combine their research stay with active participation in such events.
Applications may be submitted in German, English, Chinese or French. Candidates of all nationalities are encouraged to apply; applications from women are especially welcome. The Max Planck Society is committed to promoting handicapped individuals and encourages them to apply.
English Language Requirements:
- For all areas of work at the MPIWG, we require good or excellent knowledge of English.
- Scholars are expected to be able to present their work in English and discuss other people’s work in English.
- The main language of administration at the MPIWG is German. We support our employees in finding and funding a German language course if relevant.
- If other languages are required for the specific tasks involved, this will be mentioned in the advertisement.
Applying procedure Instructions:
- A cover letter, curriculum vitae (including the list of publications), a research proposal on a topic related to the project (1000 words maximum), one sample of writing (i.e. article or book chapter), names and email addresses of two referees.
- Candidates are requested to submit, via our online application portal.
Scholarships Official Web Links:
Scholarship Deadline: February 28, 2018