DAAD is offering In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme at the University of Gondar
DAAD is offering In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme at the University of Gondar in Ethiopia starting in September 2018. The target group for the scholarship is postgraduates from Sub-Sahara Africa with a master degree who want to pursue PhD courses in their home country (so-called In-Country scholarships) or in another Eastern Africa country (In-Region scholarships).
The University of Gondar is one of the oldest universities in Ethiopia. Established in 1954 as a Public Health College and Training Center, the University has steadily grown and evolved into one of the top educational institutions in the country today. As we celebrate our 60th anniversary, we look forward to a future as the country’s leading societal problem-solving university.
Scholarships are available to pursue PhD degree programme.
Field of Study:
The In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme supports studies in subject areas with strong relevance to national development. The scholarships at the University of Gondar are available in the following fields: Public Health Sciences.
The scholarship covers:
Amount in €
the regularly charged amount
Study and research allowance
1025,00 once within the last six months of the scholarship
(Accommodation, Food etc.)
PhD In-Country: 210,00 PhD In-Region: 230,00
Travel allowance (In-Region only)
The flat rate travel allowance will be specified in the letter of award
The scholarship will either be disbursed by the host institution, the German Embassy or will be paid directly to the scholarship holder´s banking account. Further details will be announced after admission to the scholarship programme.
Students from Sub-Saharan African countries (Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo (Brazzaville), Congo (Democratic Republic), Ivory Coast, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe) are eligible to apply.
- Scholarship can be taken in Ethiopia
Number of Scholarships:
It has been agreed upon that DAAD cooperates with University of Gondar by offering up to 3 In-Country/In-Region scholarships for PhD studies for the intake 2018.
To be eligible for this scholarship you must meet the following requirements:
• Have successfully completed generally a two-year university degree (doctoral candidates) with above average results (upper forth of class)
• Clearly, show motivation and a strong commitment
• Have a thorough knowledge of the language of instruction
• Have completed their last university degree not more than 6 years ago at the time of application
• Must be nationals or permanent resident of Sub-Sahara Africa
• Should generally be a) staff member of a public university, b) candidate considered for teaching or research staff recruitment, c) from the public sector d) DAFI-Alumni (Albert Einstein German Academic Refugee Initiative)
Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to participate in the programme.
The scholarships are initially granted for one year and can be extended to upon receipt of an application for extension. Scholars must demonstrate satisfactory progress before an extension is granted. All further information will be provided after admission to the scholarship programme.
English Language Requirements:
Applicants must have a thorough knowledge of the language of instruction.
Applying procedure Instructions:
The application process contains two steps.
Applicants must apply for their studies at the University of Gondar using the contacts and the method that is prescribed by the institution. The University of Gondar has set its own deadlines.
The University of Gondar will screen, pre-select (according to DAAD selection criteria) and short-list the applicants. A detailed report consisting of the shortlisting procedure, the entire list of applicants, the ranked shortlist and the shortlisting panel members will also be availed to DAAD. The ranked shortlist will contain double or triple the number of scholarships that have been attributed to the institution.
DAAD reserves the right of final selection.
Pre-selected candidates are asked to log into the DAAD portal and register themselves and submit a DAAD application.
1. Register online via the DAAD-Portal (if not already registered): https://portal.daad.de, Deadline: 22 March 2018
2. Apply online via the DAAD-Portal under the tab “Personal Funding“/ “Application“
Documents to be submitted:
– DAAD application form duly filled (available in the DAAD-Portal)
– Hand signed curriculum vitae (please use the European specimen form at http://europass.cedefop. Europa.eu), including a list of publications (if applicable).
– Two recommendation letters by university teachers
– Letter of admission to the host university/ institution/network
– Certified copies of university degree certificates including transcripts
– Letter of motivation (if applicable: mentioning the planned research stay in Germany, see “Additional benefits”)
– Copy of the passport
– Declaration of acceptance from the academic supervisor
– Detailed and precise PhD proposal, including detailed work and timetable (if applicable: mentioning the planned research stay in Germany, see “Additional benefits”)
– Abstract of the proposal on one page (please include name and title of proposal
Scholarships Official Web Links:
Scholarship Link: ◄–
March 22, 2018.